[Sig] usermod question

LFessen106@aol.com LFessen106@aol.com
Sat, 03 Nov 2001 10:36:03 EST

In a message dated Sat, 3 Nov 2001  9:37:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, jeff zartler <jacaz@fast.net> writes:

> I need some information for Tuesday's LVCG Linux Lab session.  What is the
> proper way to add a user to a supplementary group?  The -G option will remove
> the user from any  group not listed.  Would it be proper to do:
>
> cat /etc/group | grep username
>
> to get a list of groups the user belongs to and then:
>
> usermod -G existing_group1,existing_group2,new_group username
>
> Jeff

Well Jeff, as a long time sys-admin I will tell you that they should be tought the "standard" way.  That is to get logged into root and add the user to the appropriate group listing in the /etc/group file.  Although you can do pretty much the same thing with other tools such as usermod and groups these tools don't always exist on every installation. :-)

-Linc.