[Sig] Winmodem works

jeff zartler jacaz@post3.fast.net
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:44:06 -0400

A winmodem can work under Linux.  I bought a "Prime Peripherals" pci winmodem
at Staples for $20.  It has a PCTel chipset.  It came with a $20 rebate
coupon too. I wasn't sure if $0 was cheap enough for a winmodem but I thought
it would be fun to play with.

I dug up some resources from usenet and compiled the module on my SuSE 7.0
system kernel 2.2.16.  I was able to connect with FastNet and authenticate
but was having some sort of ppp problem.  While attempting to adjust some
network settings I ran afoul of SuSE's almighty YAST and decided to continue
further experimentation on another machine.

I'd had read posts about various distros that people had success in getting a
PCTel modem working with.  I tried a number of them then finally Corel Linux
OS Second Edition (SE?) kernel 2.2.16.  The modem was detected and set up
during installation.  The only thing I had to do was make a symbolic link
from /dev/ttyS15 to /dev/modem so that kppp could be configured.

Jeff