[Sig] A+ Certification: Diagnostic tools, CDs & Books 4 PC Techs, A+ Students & Hardware , Gurus @ Giveaway Prices

Randy Kramer rhkramer@fast.net
Fri, 06 Apr 2001 14:13:24 GMT

For those of you interested in A+ certification, this _might_ be helpful.

I came across this on the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup.   I don't know
whether the stuff is worthwhile or not, just  found it and thought I'd pass
it on.  (Some of it sounds a little old -- how many motherboards don't have
automatic hard drive recognition these days?)

(I was looking for hints on how to disassemble and clean a CD-Rom burner
(and get it back together and working again).  I'm getting occasional drive
seek errors and I suspect there may be dirt build up inside.  I've tried
blowing it out with canned air, and I've only had one drive seek error
since then (that was the first burn after I blew it out).  Even with the
drive seek error, audio CDs seem to be OK, but I'm worried about data CDs.
(Fortunately I haven't had a seek error on any data CDs so far, and,
fortunately, my desk top is made of real wood, so I can knock on it.))

Randy Kramer

<begin quote>