[Lvlug] slow linux for jen

stuart@boreens.net stuart@boreens.net
24 Nov 2000 03:03:13 -0800

I agree about the modem -- any external one is a no brainer. Of course modems are obsolete.. How about an ethernet card and a cable "modem" or DSL line??

I looked at Mandrake a little. It is very much like the Redhat system I use. I have a dual Motherboard with one processor. The install notices this and installs  two kernels. There is  "linux-up" for uniprocessor and "linux" which is a SMP kernel.

Can you get any hints by looking at /etc/dmesg ?
I'll bet that Mandrake was smart enough to recognize the dual motherboard and install the right SMP-aware kernel.

Stuart