[Linux4christians] B7 - Wednesday - Hebrews 10:19-39

dcolburn at bibleseven.com dcolburn at bibleseven.com
Tue Apr 24 21:49:46 EDT 2012

    Wednesday

      Hebrews 10:19-39

Drawing Near to God in Enduring Faith

10:19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter
the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus,

10:20 by the fresh and living way that he inaugurated for us through the
curtain, that is, through his flesh,

10:21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God,

10:22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in the assurance that faith
brings, because we have had our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil
conscience and our bodies washed in pure water.

10:23 And let us hold unwaveringly to the hope that we confess, for the
one who made the promise is trustworthy.

10:24 And let us take thought of how to spur one another on to love and
good works,

10:25 not abandoning our own meetings, as some are in the habit of
doing, but encouraging each other, and even more so because you see the
day drawing near.

10:26 For if we deliberately keep on sinning after receiving the
knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins is left for us,

10:27 but only a certain fearful expectation of judgment and /a fury/
/of fire that will consume God's enemies/. 10:28 Someone who rejected
the law of Moses was put to death without mercy /on the testimony of two
or three witnesses/.

10:29 How much greater punishment do you think that person deserves who
has contempt for the Son of God, and profanes the blood of the covenant
that made him holy, and insults the Spirit of grace?

10:30 For we know the one who said, "/*Vengeance is mine*//, //*I will
repay*/," and again, "/*The Lord will judge his people*/."

10:31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

10:32 But remember the former days when you endured a harsh conflict of
suffering after you were enlightened.

10:33 At times you were publicly exposed to abuse and afflictions, and
at other times you came to share with others who were treated in that way.

10:34 For in fact you shared the sufferings of those in prison, and you
accepted the confiscation of your belongings with joy, because you knew
that you certainly had a better and lasting possession.

10:35 So do not throw away your confidence, because it has great reward.

10:36 For you need endurance in order to do God's will and so receive
what is promised.

10:37 For /*just a little longer*/ and /*he who is coming will arrive
and not delay*/.

10:38 /*But my righteous one will live by faith*//, //*and if he shrinks
back*//, //*I*/ /*take no pleasure in him*/.

10:39 But we are not among those who shrink back and thus perish, but
are among those who have faith and preserve their souls.

      Prayer

Lord, You saved us, You disciple us, You defend us, You bless us, You
have given to us Your indwelling Holy Spirit, and You allow us to be
Your instruments in this world -- You expect that we will not
deliberately rebel. May I continue to mature so that I will contemplate
rebellion less-often and stand when tested (so I am not tempted) more-often.

      Summary & Commentary

The text encourages believers to draw near to God because our faith is
in the One Who opened the way to Him and Who has made us spiritually-pure.

We are exhorted to "spur one another on to love and good works ... not
abandoning our own meetings"

[Note: This necessarily requires that we be intentional about what we
say and do - in order to both present a positive role model and
effectively teach and encourage others. There is also an implication
that believers were choosing to gather with non-believers instead of
gathering with believers, for reasons not clear in the text, but the
need to gather-together is emphasized again here as elsewhere in the NT.
The Lord God repeats messages He wants us not to miss.]

The text then gives a warning to those who remain in rebellion, through
intentional and unrepentant sin, despite receiving the Word of truth. It
reminds the reader of the OT consequences of rebellion against "the law
of Moses", summarizing "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands
of the living God."

Believers are cautioned to remember that they endured troubles early on
in their faith, and that more endurance may be required of them, but
despite their losses they have remains standing "... because you knew
that you certainly had a better and lasting possession."

Hebrews 10 concludes with a contrast between those who have heard the
Word yet failed to respond and live with perseverance through faith "...
if he shrinks back, I take no pleasure in him" versus those who heard
and responded and persevered "But we are not among those who shrink back
and thus perish, but are among those who have faith and preserve their
souls."

      Interaction

        Consider

It is a remarkable contrast between those who have heard the Word yet
failed to respond and live with perseverance through faith "... if he
shrinks back, I take no pleasure in him" versus those who heard and
responded and persevered "But we are not among those who shrink back and
thus perish, but are among those who have faith and preserve their souls."

        Discuss

What are some practical ways to "spur one another on to love and good
works ... not abandoning our own meetings"?

        Reflect

The consequence for those who do not live under the grace of the
salvation of Christ is that they remain in slavery to sin and under the
judgment of law-without-mercy of the former covenant.

        Share

When have you experienced or observed a practical example of being
intentional about what is said and what is done in order to both present
a positive role model and effectively teach and encourage others?

      Faith in Action

        Prayer:

Ask the Holy Spirit to examine your faithfulness in spurring "one
another on to love and good works ... not abandoning our own meetings"
and in being intentional about what you say and do.

        Action:

Today I am choosing to both present a positive role model and
effectively teach and encourage others. Where I find a lapse in my
faithfulness to the Word of God I will ask the Holy Spirit to find me a
willing follower of His leading to a more righteous place in my daily walk.

    Thursdays text will be:

      Hebrews 11

--

Draw nearer to the Lord and He will bless you,
David M. Colburn, DMin. MaCo