[Linux4christians] Conservative Bible Project?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Oct 7 21:50:57 EDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Pastor David wrote:

> I automatically dismiss anything a non-translator claims about a
> private understanding (contrary to the work of true translators)
> from the Greek or Hebrew - such is IMHO so implausible as to defy
> confidence.

	I'd disagree slightly. I'm pretty sold on the idea that a pastor, if
he has languages at his disposal, ought to work with the original
language at least somewhat at the beginning of sermon preparation.
That avoids the unfortunate (and embarrassing) sermon point that makes
a big deal out of an English word's meaning when the actual text does
not have the same denotation (or connotation). It's also impossible to
critically engage with scholarly commentary when one has to take those
commentaries -- which often disagree -- at face value.

	That said, anyone but the best skilled folks ought to stay within the
bounds of commentators. I rarely, if ever, have argued a language
point that I couldn't support with several good commentaries... I'm
not skilled enough to go it alone. Actually, no good interpretation
ought to be done outside of community. But, I know enough of the
categories to weigh a few good commentaries and say, "hey, in Psalm
23, we're not talking about mere 'mercy' following me, we are talking
about God's amazing, loving kindness pursuing me."

	(Ps. 23's familiarity, I think, is a bad thing when it comes to
translation -- the translations seem to be generally more concerned
with following the KJV's basic arrangement than anything else. It's
close enough for most purposes, but if I'm preaching the text, you
could count on me noting that the text promises far more than just
mercy.)

	To be sure, making too big of deal out of the original languages is a
bad idea. But, I think to make the barrier to original language
studies of the Scripture a lot higher than any other language studies
-- which certainly in many cases ought to be far MORE daunting -- is
probably unnecessary. I think it'd be great if more people decided to
learn the languages just for their own personal devotional reading.

	-Tim