Episode Idea - RedEye

Moderators: snarkout, Patrick, dann, dmfrey

Episode Idea - RedEye

Postby jammstercd » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am

Up until a few months ago I had been using a Logitech Harmony 880 remote. It worked well, but I kept wanting to control my A/V devices using a smart phone and/or tablet (without the high cost of most control systems). Over the last six months I've been using RedEye (price is $199), a small table-top device developed by ThinkFlood, that has both Android and iOS apps available. Unlike Harmony remotes, the RedEye interface is completely customizable via a web interface, not just configurable with basic options and macros. Recently, ThinkFlood updated the device to support network control of capable devices. In my setup, I have the following devices:

>Samsung TV - Controlled using IR commands.
>Onkyo Receiver - Controlled using network commands.
>TiVo HD - Controlled using network commands.
>MythTV Front End - Controlled using network commands.
>Roku - Controlled using network commands.

Along with an IR blaster, the device includes an IR output jack, so with all of my other devices controlled using network commands, I was able to hide the RedEye unit in my cabinet with only an IR emitter cable routed to my TV. I'm also able to have a set of fully integrated activities for all of my devices, including my MythTV front end. It has been working so well that my wife is letting me finally get rid of our TiVo HD.

Although RedEye is not an open-source project, I think it would be worth interviewing someone from ThinkFlood. I've found they do a great job of supporting their enthusiast customers along with managing an active forum community. They also regularly update the software and apps for RedEye, including the recent addition of network control.

Just a thought on another episode. Keep up the great work!
jammstercd

Return to MythTv Cast